Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Vanessa

I recently learned something new about Vanessa, with Jon's help.  First, I have to relate a story.

Vanessa recently started dance class.  They have a small recital coming up in December as a practice for the real deal in April.  I was careful to watch her dance through the cracked open door so I could practice with her at home.  At the end of the class, the teacher opens the door all the way and they can perform for the parents for the last five minutes of class.  As the parents filed in, Vanessa slowly looked more and more unsure until she burst into tears and ran into my arms.  She was not having performing with an audience. 

That afternoon, I downloaded the song they are dancing to and encouraged Vanessa to practice the dance with me.  She didn't even want to try.  It wasn't until about 6pm, that I finally convinced her to practice with me to show daddy her dance. 
When Jon got home and we showed him the dance, Vanessa told him she got scared and ran.  Jon wasn't surprised.  But I had been very surprised.  Jon pointed out how easily embarrassed Vanessa is and how she doesn't like doing things if she isn't sure she knows how.  She probably didn't want to dance because she was unsure of the dance and didn't want anyone to see that.

She reminds me of someone....me!  Is it really possible to have such similar personalities?  Why do I see so much of myself in this little girl of mine?  Do I imagine it or are these things really genetic?

No comments: