I want to write and complain about my long, rough, day. But I can't. I read something on facebook today that I can't get off my mind. "Wear pants to church day." In case you haven't heard, though if you are in Utah, I supposed it's all over the place, it's a public event created by a couple of LDS women who are encouraging other LDS women to wear pants to church on Sunday. That's all it is. Or is it? It's keeping me up, turning from side to side. A million thoughts have been rushing around in my head and I'm just bothered. I read through some of the comments. Some good arguments, some contentious, some down right rude. There are currently around 1400 planning to "attend" this event. What has happened to us?! These are members of this church planning a movement against their own church! I can understand having a personal struggle with something within the church. But to create a movement? To cause other people to question and possibly be led astray and not to mention people who are not members not are most definitely reading the threads. And all the people who are not members who are reading those threads, will probably not ever want to be a member. This is just disheartening.
Without even discussing the doctrinal issues, let's talk about the fact that a movement of any kind taking place during a worship service is completely inappropriate. I have a hard time believing that anyone who participates in this movement is doing it to feel the Spirit or to become closer to God. All this will do is distract from the Spirit and cause contention in the meeting.
The facisous nature of this movement is that it is not doctrinally expected that women wear a dress to church. It is culturally expected that "Sunday best" include a dress for women. But no one has said that women HAVE to wear a dress. So really, there is no point to this movement, right? One would think so. However, there was rumored among the comments that the problem is some women are upset they can't hold the preisthood. That seems to make more sense to me as the real issue here. Sara Ally Long, one of the creators of the event, doesn't come out and say as much in her text about the event; however, she does allude to the "inequalities" between men and women within the church.
I personally have never had a problem with women not holding the preisthood. I am now realizing this is probably a spiritual gift from Heavenly Father. I may have had a two month stint with my feministic ideals but really, I feel equal. I've always felt equal. Why does equal have to be the same? The roles of men and women make complete sense to me. I think the roles of men and women form to make the perfect institution. I believe in the traditional roles of men working to make a living and women staying home to care for the home and kids. I'm a SAHM, by choice (as crazy as that choice sometimes feels). I didn't choose this role out of ignorance. I didn't choose it because I had "nothing better" to do. It's what God gave me time to do! I don't personally understand struggling with THIS gospel principle. But, I have had my bout with others (cough cough polygamy). The only conclusion I have come to on such issues is some things have to be accepted on faith, NOT ignorance. These are very different, though satan would try to convince people that they are the same.
As far as this having an ounce of influence on any matters within the Church, it will not. We all know it will not. We have clear evidence of that by reading the Bible. There are no accounts, ever, or women holding the preisthood. I doubt this is something the Lord ever plans to change. The divine roles of men and women were created before man. Why would the Lord change this because some angry women feel they aren't being treated fairly? To them I am sure he would simply say, "I love you more than you know and your worth is as great as theirs." Different but equal.
1 comment:
I absolutely agree with you. Ive never been a feminist and I'm also a SAHM but never in my life have I felt lesser than any man. I also have been wrestling with this whole mess of pants at church as just insane. These people have bigger testimony problems than what to wear. Sunday should be interesting
Post a Comment