Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Boys Room



My inspiration for the color came from this photo on Houzz.  I love the navy with the teal overtones. And I think this dark color works because it is so broken up with the large windows and white trim.  I initially wanted to do some wainscoting. But we decided it wouldn't look as good with our popcorn wall texture in the back.  Not really sure who started this popcorn texture trend in the Midwest but I don't really love it.  So we decided instead to do bead board.  Here are some before/paint prep pics.

 
Then we threw up the top color of paint.

 Then we started on the bead board.  This only took ten times longer than we thought it would.  We are learning this is always true of all home improvement projects.  We also had a helper.  We couldn't get away from the little man.  We would put him in the toy room with the kids and he would be back a few minutes later.  He just loves all the tools I guess.  Talk about not a kid-friendly zone though!
 No worries, no injuries were sustained in taking these pics.  And I did keep Brig out as much as possible.
It took forever (like a couple weeks) but we did finally get the beadboard all up.  The seems were less than perfect.  Like, we thought we were going to have to put more boards up to cover the seems.  But we finally decided we could do some intense work with glue and spackle.  So we on that. 


The pic above is the baseboard on and below is with the final shelf.  Meanwhile we are still spackling....
Years later, we were finally done spackling and sanding and moved on to painting the bead board. 
 And just like that, we were miraculously finished!!!  I couldn't be happier with how it looks.  Now all we need is a little furniture and some decor.  Yay!


 

2 comments:

Nancy K said...

I love how it turned out!!!

Brian and Kristy said...

That looks really good! I love the color.