Saturday, November 9, 2013

Utah!

We have arrived in Utah.  It is fabulous getting to spend some much needed time with family.  Though we are definitely missing Jon.  The flight getting here was mostly uneventful.  I was equipped.  I had tons of stickers, movies, iPod, iPad, and new toys they had picked out but not been allowed to touch.  They played with the toys the entire first flight.  We had a layover in Chicago.  That involved a chocolate shake, Benson's wheelchair getting stuck on the moving walkway, and Brigham getting slap happy hysterical.  He was out ten minutes after settling into our seats for the journey to SLC.  Vanessa and Benson followed just 45 minutes later.  The hardest part of the flight was finding a spot for the sleeping babes to be.  No one really wanted to be held, they just wanted the space to spread out and crash.  I ended up on the floor with Brig at one point so that he could spread out a bit across my lap.  It got a little crazy when I had to wake the kids up and get them off the plane.  Vanessa and Benson both had a melt down at this point.  Surprisingly, Brigham never had a tantrum, the whole time!  I carried Vanessa and Benson from the bottom of the B gates to baggage claim and learned that I am not strong enough to do that.  I was huffing, puffing, and sweating.  Ha.  Another lady helped carry Brigham and the Air Serve guys carried our bags.  Thank you Southwest for not bringing my wagon plane side.  I figured it was a no-brainer that someone would want that to help carry all their kids and bags, but obviously someone who doesn't have kids unloaded that plane.
Since arriving, we have been getting all kinds of cousin time in.  I have intense mom guilt for having to have someone watch my kids every day except today (Saturday).  That means someone watched one or more children every day for four days.  I can't remember that ever happening.  It was nice to get some breaks but oddly accompanied with that mom guilt.  Hate that mom guilt.  I'm with my kids all day all the time without a break and I feel guilty for losing my patience with them.  I get a break and have more patience but feel guilty for leaving them.  I got probs.
Benson had an appointment with Shriners and was molded for a back brace.  I am super excited to get it and test it out.  We are hoping it will provide him with extra support for times when he needs to do an activity while sitting, especially during preschool activities. 
Vanessa is doing swimming lessons with her cousin Molly twice a week and is absolutely loving it.  Vanessa had her first sleepover with Brooklyn.  She came and stayed at my parents.  Vanessa was thrilled.  I think the older boys overwhelmed Brooklyn a little bit but they had a lot of fun.
Brigham has taken to Papa like they are long lost BFFs and looks for him all the time.  And naturally, he has been hoarding any tools he comes across.
Today was nice enough weather that we were able to go to the park and play a little bit.  We have also been taking advantage of my parents sand box.  Benson loves playing in the sand.  We really probably should get him some sand to play with somewhere!
Jon is at home taking care of Rocky and has been sending me occasional pictures of completed projects.  He's knocking them out!  Although he seems less and less excited about being alone out there in MO.  I think he's ready to have us back.  It's always good to feel loved, and we are definitely excited to see him again! 
Jon and I decided to celebrate our anniversary while we're here in Utah and have some sitters.  So, for the first time EVER since having kids, we are going to do an over-nighter in Park City (kid-less, obviously).  We are quite excited to have more than five minutes to focus on each other.  I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good for you going on an overnighter. Fun!
You forgot the red wagon...is it funny yet?
:)