On Saturday was the trophy meet. After some house work and playing with neighborhood friends, we had to run some quick errands. This included stopping at Sams Club to get "The Big One." The Big Birthday gift. On Sunday, we gave Vanessa her big gift, which was a trampoline. She was pretty excited and has jumped on it quite a bit. It took forever to set up, not the leisure or family friendly Sunday activity we were hoping for. But it did get set up and before the birthday party. So that takes us to the birthday morning. Vanessa woke up and asked me if she was 4 yet. I told her she was born in the afternoon, so technically not yet. So then all day she told everyone she wasn't 4 yet. Ooops, too confusing for a 4 year old. For breakfast she had toast with strawberries and chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Then we had to continue with our usual Monday mayhem which includes gymnastics first and then swim therapy for Benson in the afternoon. I didn't want to spend all of Vanessa's birthday getting ready for her party so I had done as much beforehand as possible and kept things as easy as I possibly could. We still had a few things to finish up though so the kids helped me frost a few cupcakes. Then they got bored so we spent a few hours jumping on the tramp. Then went in for lunch and then headed to swimming. Luckily, we passed Jon on our way so we switched cars. He took the kids to swimming and I ran a few last minutes errands and finished the party prep. Everything was ready when they got home so Vanessa opened a few more gifts from me and Jon. We got her some more dresses (since that's all she wears), some Crocs, Doc McStuffins play doctor set, Mermaidia the movie, and a new board game. Then the friends arrived for the party. We invited Durtschis, Daughertys, Halls, Firmages, Fairbanks, and Lorences. We had pizza, grapes, salad, and punch. I had a few games planned but most of them involved water and it ended up being chilly. So we were going to play Limbo and do a Hula Hoop contest but the kids weren't diggin it. So we did the pinata and then opened gifts. Oh, and they definitely jumped on the tramp.
I made mini cupcakes for the kids. Which I think is way better because you get way more frosting to your cake. But they were all totally bummed that the big cupcakes were for the adults. Plus, some kids can pound like ten of those puppies but some only eat the frosting off. So it's less wasting this way too. I think I had around 40-50 mini cupcakes and those 12 kids pounded those. There wasn't one left over. Well, Knox licked the frosting off like 3, but I'm counting those as consumed. The party went from 5-7 and literally as soon as everyone left, the Tornado storm moved in. I told everyone it was waiting for the party to end because I had prayed that everyone wouldn't be inside eating on the new floor. Ha!
It was our first tornado warning here in Missouri. I won't lie, I panicked a bit. I rushed to get the flashlights batteries changed. Jon fiddled with the weather radio. I had the news on in the background. I was listening to the hail on the window practically sure we were going to have to head to the closet any minute. But, it blew over and no closet refuge necessary. It was heartbreaking though to hear that a tornado did hit Oklahoma City and it got hit hard. It took down two elementary schools and a hospital. Last I heard, 24 people had been killed and 9 of those were children. The tornado hit around 3, so the kids were in school. It made me feel that gut wrenching feeling of having to send my kids to school one day all too soon. Almost as bad as the day of the Colorado shooting.
Before I digress anymore, while we were getting the tornado preparedness under control, we were also calling grandparents so they could sing happy birthday and Vanessa opened presents from her grandparents. Grandma and Grandpa Purdy sent her a big Rapunzel doll and matching dress up and also a Cinderella snow globe/music box. Grandma and Grandpa Brady sent her 3 Barbie movies, a bag to hold activity books and crayons, a nightgown, and a Happy Birthday sign. She is definitely one spoiled girl! We finally headed to bed though I made Vanessa sleep across the hall in Benson's room and checked the weather until midnight, just to be sure. The next morning there were two trees that lost branches on either side of us. But our tramp was ok :)

No comments:
Post a Comment