Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mitchell's Journey

I've been following this story on facebook of a family who recently lost their son who was just 10 years old to complications from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.  I started following back before Mitch died, but it was only a week or so.  I cried with this family I have never met reading their accounts of their last few days with him, then the funeral, and then the grieving that comes afterwords.  The father usually posts now, recounting stories of lessons they learned as a family while Mitch was alive.  I cry just thinking about it.  It hits home so hard.  Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm crying because of this family or because of Benson.  The lessons they share are beautiful though.  He recently talked of going to a track meet and seeing everyone using all their physical strength being hard for Mitch.  The dad talked to him about how every person has their own race to run and we can't compare to others.  We can only work to be better than the person we were yesterday.  He talked of special olympics, something I had completely forgotten about and hope one day Benson can participate.  Their family is such an inspiration to me.  I hope that I can offer the lessons of spiritual growth and strength to Benson, Vanessa and Brigham that this family gave their kids.

No comments: