The day started out great. I took the kids to the park and even went for a run afterwards. I met some new ladies from the Fort Lauderdale ward, who were all very nice. I went to put Benson in his car seat when I realized I had no window. That's right, some jerk bashed in my window and stole my purse.
Now you may remember in April 2009 I had my purse stolen from my shopping cart. I will acknowledge on that account that I was slightly careless. I left my purse like a sitting duck and that is just too tempting for some folk.
This time however, I had learned my lesson. There are signs all over the park, Lock your Car! Don't leave valuables in your car! My feeling was that if I take my purse with me, I might leave it somewhere while chasing down Vanessa or some other unforeseen event so it's safer left in the car. Obviously, we must hide it in the car though. So hide it I did. I hid it very well actually, underneath the seat with Benson's car seat. I checked and you couldn't even see it was there. Well, apparently hiding things isn't good if there are people watching you get out of your car! I guess this is the latest trend. They watch for women to leave, where they put (hide) things, what they leave behind or take with them. And then they strike! Those dirty rotten scoundrels.
Of course my phone battery would die while at the park too. Luckily some of my new friends were leaving at the same time as me and they lent me their phones. One lady even happened to have an infant car seat since Benson's was full of shattered glass. One of them stayed with me until Jon was able to come and let Vanessa watch Tarzan with her son, a very messy and dirty Vanessa no less.
We called the police of course. They came and took prints but we all know that will amount to nothing.
In the end, what did the darn crook end up with? My Utah driver's license with my old address (I'm kind of glad I didn't change it now), my credit cards which are all canceled now, $22 in cash, a $50 gift card to Besty Buy, $30 gift card to JcPenney, some mace (maybe he can use it on himself!), probably a binky and a toy or two.
And what does it end up costing us? A whole lot of hassle, time to get my new drivers license and however much that will cost, canceling all our cards and getting new ones, new insurance cards, and a new window (the insurance will cover it after our $1000 deductible, it better not even come close!)
I really do like Florida but it's days like these that I'm glad it isn't permanent. I'll be happy somewhere in the country, population 5000.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness!! Well, I must say that I am slightly relieved that it didn't work out for me to meet you at the park today. I can't believe that happened to you. So crazy. And in broad daylight?!
I can totally relate to how you feel right now. Earlier this year, our car was broken into (I'm pretty sure I told you that story) AND I was in a hit-and-run car accident in the SAME WEEK. The accident was very minor - only a few scratches on our car - but I was still so upset about it. I mean, who does that?! Times like that make me miss Utah.
That totally stinks! It is hard to believe that people would do such a thing and think that's okay. Funny thing, okay not really "funny", but I have never gotten broken into here in 8 years, but my car got stolen once in Utah and someone broke my car window and stole my wallet with like $180 bucks in it in Utah--in a church parking lot! I don't think you are safe anywhere.
Just realized that probably didn't make you feel better. Big bummer though.
So sorry Net! I am glad you had some nice friends with you to help out. I also hope you move to somewhere smaller...like Davis County;)
Lynette!! That sucks! I am so sorry!
Post a Comment