Monday, June 23, 2014

Gardening Lessons

One thing I read about gardening is that you should keep a journal and well, that hasn't happened.  I am a horrible journal keeper.  Last year I started out trying the square foot gardening system.  I don't know if I did it wrong or what but we way over planted our garden last year.  By the time everything was full grown it was overwhelming trying to harvest anything.
This year we slimmed down considerably.  I also bought all heirloom, non-gmo seeds.  I felt like the flavors we had last year were not amazing so we're hoping for something mouth watering this year.  Last year we bought all burpee seeds from Lowes. 
When I started my seeds, I kept them in a bedroom upstairs, away from tiny hands.  I used our photography lights (they have fluorescent bulbs) as grow lights and turned our space heater on until the seeds sprouted.  They had all sprouted within 10 days.  I turned the heater off but kept the lamp on and the plants grew way more than they did last year.  I also used little plastic pots I bought on amazon rather than the seed trays I used the year before.  The extra space made a big difference I think.  When I was ready to plant outside, I stuck them outside for almost an entire afternoon and when I went to get them, they were practically dead.  In fact, one plant did die.  I pulled them back inside in their little bubble for a couple days before taking them outside to the covered patio.  I kept them there a few days.  Then I moved them under a tree for a few days.  Then I moved them out for a couple hours a day for a couple days.  Then I finally planted them.  It sounds like more work than it was.  I hadn't considered needing to harden the plants off to the sun as well as to the range of temperatures and wind.  The full range of UV nearly burned the leaves to bits. 
I have been using random organic fertilizers.  I also started a compost pile that isn't going so hot.  Hehe. 
Our strawberries did well this year except we lost more than half our harvest to bugs and decay.  This year, I tried cutting the strawberries down to their crowns one week after they were done bearing.  We have june bearing strawberries, not ever bearing.  I did this about a week ago and they are already starting to grow back.  We'll see if it does anything for our harvest next year.  I may also try putting up a webbing to keep the strawberries off the ground.  I wish they were a plant that could trellis.
As far as flowers go, we are just beginning to dabble in this area.  The zinnias that we planted seem to be growing well.  They are supposed to be full sun flowers so I almost didn't plant them in our morning sun only spot.  They aren't as tall as they are supposed to be but we do have flower buds.  We bought our Japanese Maples from Lowes for $50.  The other day we were at the nursery and their JMs sell for $100-125 but they were much prettier.  I guess you get what you pay for.  I still like ours just fine though. I also planted some daylily bulbs that I had from Lowes.  Only one grew big enough to produce a flower and it is absolutely breathtaking.  It is under the Japanese maple and it leans almost to the ground to get its needed sun.  I wasn't thinking when I planted it there.  So I'll have to move it to a sunnier spot next year.  I think I decided I'm going to plant azalea in my spot to the right.  The nursery guy told me they have some varieties that stay small.  Perfect.  And in front of my hydrangeas will definitely be daylilies.  Considering how much I love this one flower, I need more of them.  And since they are bulbs, I think I'll throw in some tulips for some spring color.  Pretty sure it will be perfect.  I can't wait to count flowers with Vanessa next year.  Hopefully we'll have lots more!

No comments: