Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Gifts

I have recently been pondering on the gifts my children have each been given.  Things that I can see in them at such a young and tender age.  It makes me proud of them in ways I can't express and in awe of them as well.  I truly learn more from them than anything else in this life.  Being a wife and mother has made me strive to be better for them.  To better myself so that they have an example and so that our home will carry the Spirit.  As each child grows, more of their personality, likes and dislikes, and gifts begin to develop and I love watching them unfold.  I often feel I have so little to do with the whole process and yet so much as well. 

Vanessa has always had a gift of being a good friend.  She is very social and loves to be with friends.  And other kids love to be with her.  She is kind.  She plays well with other children.  This doesn't mean she doesn't throw an occasional four year old fit, but I am consistently amazed at how well she can play with kids compared to kids her age or even older.  She will always include everyone and I have honestly never heard her say anything hurtful to anyone.
Vanessa also has a deep love of Christ and learning about Christ.  She loves to pray.  She loves church.  I feel like at four years old, she accepts everything about the Gospel and will easily acquire a very firm testimony.

Benson has a mind like steel trap.  He is literally amazing to me.  He can keep track of things better than Jon and I.  He knows where he leaves things.  He remembers everything we say to him.  He refers back to conversations from days before, things that are relevant to what we are currently doing or talking about.  This is not typical turning-three-in-a-few-weeks behavior.  He can spell his name.  He knows most letters.  I have no idea if he knows his numbers by sight but he can count to 12 or so.  He knows the words to many songs and enjoys to sing them with me.  His current favorite is the Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock.

Brigham has a talent for making us laugh.  He has a contagious laugh himself.  If he is in a really giggly mood, I can't help but start laughing with him, which makes him laugh more and more and more.  He is goofy and he loves it.  He loves attention.  He loves being silly.  He loves to see us laugh.