Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Grandparents Visit

When you are counting down every day, multiple times a day, for at least two months, it feels like forever before they finally arrive.  And then they're gone in the blink of an eye.  My parents talked of coming in December way back before they knew about the March baby.  And then they said maybe they would only come in March but changed their plans so Jon and I could get a MUCH needed break for a couple days.  We picked them up on Saturday, December 6th and headed straight for the beefiest meal you will ever encounter for lunch.  It's a burger joint called Bairs that is pretty much awesome but can't be good for the heart.  After that we headed home and opened presents.  Sunday was a typical Sunday only made much better with lots of playing with the kids and card games for the adults.  It's amazing how much easier it is to play cards after the kids go to bed when we are at home.  Whenever we visit Utah, it feels like we don't get to play, usually because the kids get to bed late and then we're too tired.  Or maybe jet lag?  I don't know.  But we had lots of late night cards this visit.  On Monday we did the Bass Pro activities and tried out Jett's Pizza.  Best. Pizza. Ever.  And since we hadn't had nearly enough eating out yet, we got Andys later that night with our Christmas lights drive.  On Tuesday, Jon and I headed up to KC, while my parents took charge with the littles.  On Tuesday, they went to Chuck-E-Cheese.  Apparently, they got 600 tickets!  Which is amazing because we can get 200 at most, if Jon and I help a little.  And, apparently they didn't buy a single coin.  Go figure.  I guess the machines were spitting the tickets out and the employees just kept giving them free coins.  I don't know what exactly happened but the kids were pretty stoked about it all.  On Wednesday, they went to the Children's Museum.  The kids and I have only been once and I have been debating getting a pass.  Vanessa keeps talking about how much she loved it so I think we will.  She didn't seem to love it as much the first time we went, so that's why I haven't gotten a pass yet.  But if it makes her happy and keeps them entertained, while learning, it's a win-win.  On Thursday, they went to the library, read books, and played with the toys.  I'm not sure what day but they also made a trip to Chick-Fil-A a.k.a. Chicken-Fil-A or "the cow one."
Jon and I got home Thursday evening and while the break was much needed and definitely nice, it was so good to squeeze those cute kids.  I was surprised by how much I missed them after just two nights.
On Friday, it was warm enough weather to go to the park.  We went to Nathaniel Green per the kids request and even took Rocky with us.  It was pretty secluded seeing how it wasn't THAT warm and most kids are in school.  This made it 100 times easier to have Rocky there.  It is a beautiful park with tons of paved trails to walk.  My mom kept telling us she couldn't believe we hadn't brought her here in the summer and we HAVE to come back.  She would probably be the only other person to appreciate the Lily garden as much as I do so I think she's right. After that, we went to Lamberts.  We always eat out way more than I ever intend when my parents come into town.  And, I don't even like Lamberts.  But their rolls are killer, so I guess it's worth it.
We finished off the visit with more cards.  We basically always play girls against boys in hand and foot and it kind of sets the competition for girls against boys in everything.  This visit, the girls basically dominated.  I won Five Crowns, my Mom won Rummy, and the girls won Hand and Foot.  It needs to be documented because the boys have a funny way of always remembering winning :)
Saturday was basically consumed with packing and getting to the airport.  The kids were totally bummed to send Grandma and Grandpa home but as always, we couldn't have been more grateful for their visit.  We sure are lucky to have them!













 

No comments: