Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Garage Sale Mania

We did a garage sale.  It's over and I can finally breathe.  It was a smashing success, so I'm not complaining.  But it was A LOT of work.  We let the RS in our ward know that we were doing a garage sale to raise money for a van for Benson.  It's the largest expense I see in the foreseeable future that feels totally unattainable.  So, we are starting fundraising now.  And hopefully by the time he is 6 or 7, we'll have the cash to get that van!  I figured a couple people from our ward would bring a few things by.  We had TEN families donate.  Our two car garage was packed completely full!  I spent the entire week prior organizing, pricing, making signs, and baking.  We were seriously blown away by everyone's generosity.  Up until now, I wasn't sure many people knew who we were except for the family with a little boy who has an awesome power chair.  With kids, church has little social time.  I couldn't believe how many people asked about the sale, how many donated, and how many seemed to genuinely care.  I was really touched.
I also did a small bake sale.  We sold Chocolate chip cookies, oreo truffles, and peanut butter truffles.  We sold out of all of them.  I am kicking myself for not taking pictures, but I really didn't have my head on straight at all last week.
My visiting teacher, and a dear friend, came over and helped me three days in a row!  I seriously don't know what I would do without this woman.  She is my mom away from home and I feel so blessed to know her and call her my friend!
Vanessa sold lemonade and the baked goods and I was so proud of that little lady.  She did great talking to all the people she didn't know and talking so they could hear.  She also sang little songs occasionally to try to get people to buy some lemonade.  She made over $40!  She doesn't really know what that means, all she knew was it was enough for the two barbies she wanted.  I don't think she even knows she has some left over.
We also met another family that has a six year old daughter with SMA type 1.  It was awesome to meet this family and Benson loved talking with their nurse.  He chatted with her for a good ten minutes, telling her all about getting his tubie put in and Ninja Turtles.
On Friday, a friend watched Brigham which saved me.  But on Saturday we had the crazy tyke with us all morning.  It was considerably slower on Saturday so it was okay, but in the chaos of the event, Brig did manage to get away with Jon's keys.  And they disappeared.  It wouldn't have been such a big deal except we don't have a spare.  And it also happened to be our only house key as well.  I prayed and searched all morning.  That night, we had family prayer and searched.  The next morning, the kids found the keys tucked inside the tree of their pet shop tree house!  It was an awesome experience to talk with the kids about how our prayers were answered and we found dad's keys!  That saved us a whole lotta cash!

No comments: