Saturday, October 30, 2010

Life in the Fast Lane

WARNING: RANDOM

First, I just have to speak my two bits about Florida drivers. Everyone in Utah complains about Utah drivers; but having now driven for almost six months amongst the Floridians, I am sure they are worse. FAR worse. I never felt the urge to curse and flip people off like I do almost daily (haven't yet, but I make no promises). People refuse to use a blinker, refuse to acknowledge a blinker even. They can not turn into their correct lanes. Change lanes in the intersection. Block traffic constantly because they are most definitely THE most important person on the road and their needs are much more pressing. Tailing, speeding, driving really slow, cutting you off, and generally just not knowing the rules of the road.
Whew, just had to get that off my chest.

Life in the Brady home is well, great, exhausting, happy, crazy, messy, stressful, and grateful. We are defintely very luck to have two healthy, beautiful little kiddos. But let's be honest, it's a tough adjustment, or at least has been for me. Women kept telling me while I was pregnant that I would just love having them so close together. Course everyone here also finished saying how great it was that I got a boy and a girl, one of each, as if we're done having kids. Who wouldn't be right? I think while I was pregnant and actually believed all these people that I actually mentioned to Jon that we should have all our kids close that I could just be over and done with being pregnant. Ha ha ha! These women obviously had older children close in age. None of them had an infant and a baby at the moment. They were getting more than four hours of sleep a night, could clean the house and have it stay clean, done washing crayon off the walls, done chasing a strong willed one year old out of the street while carrying the crying one month old. They were happily enjoying their free time while the two kids play together in the back yard, if they're lucky enough to have one. I am sure I will love having them so close together one day too, but let's be honest, I'm not LOVING it right now. I do however, love my kids and love that I have both of them. I wouldn't even trade one of them for a full night's sleep.

So on to the happier notes. Benson is six and a half weeks. Whoa! How did that happen? It feels like just yesterday and a million years ago that we brought him home from the hospital. There is so much that I love about newborns. I love how they curl up into little balls and will sleep on your chest, and they fit there too! I love how they can't control their arms and think you're the one pulling their binky out. I love onesies. I love the way they smell. I love pretending their gas smiles are adoring smiles and love it even more when they really are.

We are still figuring out everything Benson likes and does not like. It seems to change to keep us on our toes. Tonight for instance, he likes his binky and the swing. This could change, but we'll take advantage of what works. I don't think he likes it when I eat dairy. But just to test this theory I had some pizza tonight and yes, it was good. Was it worth it though? I'll let you know if I'm up all night with a gassy baby or stressed all day with a neglected one year old. Benson is very patient with Vanessa teasing him and occassionally sitting on him. He is not so patient when he's hungry, I think he gets that one from his daddy, and most likely every other man in the world as well. Benson likes to suck on anything that gets close enough to be sucked on; blankets, arms, fingers, binkies, you name it. He definitely has some lungs on him but he is also a grunter and pur-er. He likes to be in motion and prefers to spend most of the day asleep in the moby wrap. Don't worry though, because he also sleeps at night, though he prefers to do that in the swing, or in mommy's arms. He sleeps a lot, as long as he is in the right spot.

Vanessa is still very petite but strong. I think someone tells me that every time we go to the park. She just goes for it and thinks she is so big. Her latest and greatest is climbing UP the slides. We also tried out a new park the other day and she followed the three year olds around, doing everything they did like it wasn't even a big deal. Of course, I was biting my nails hoping she wasn't going to break her arm, and not wanting to squelch her independence.

Vanessa starts nursery in just three weeks. I can hardly believe she is really that old already. Most parents look forward to nursery so they can enjoy church and heaven forbid, actually get something out of a lesson. I think now that we have two, I might appreciate her going to nursery a little more. True, I just may have more separation anxiety than she does, I guess we'll see. And I will probably miss her more than she'll miss me, that we will also see about. I really hope she doesn't pick up any bad habits and stays as sweet and innocent as she is now. I guess two hours a week can't be that damaging right?

3 comments:

Brian and Kristy said...

Reading your blog has me really nervous/excited to welcome our new little one. I know it will be hard with two but I am so excited to snuggle with my little one. And nursery is great. For the most part. After they get used to it :)

Unknown said...

Well, I guess it only gets easier right? You will LOVE that little nursery break, even with a baby in tow.

Unknown said...

Well, I guess it only gets easier right? You will LOVE that little nursery break, even with a baby in tow.